In chapter eight a horrendous fire breaks out in Miss Maudie's house. The whole town goes out to try and rescue her things. That day and night had been one of the coldest days in Maycomb history. While Scout and Jem are outside in the frigid cold weather watching Miss Maudie's things being rescued to the ferocious tongues of the fire, a mysterious blanket fall upon scouts shoulders. Later that night Atticus questioned about the mysterious blanket. Jem diagnosed that Arthur “Boo” Radley had wrapped around her while she wasn't paying attention.
I think that Harper Lee included this moment for a couple of reasons. First of all I think that it was to show that boo was a actual human being and not a monster. Also I think it is to emphasize the sympathy for “Boo” from the children. Lee is trying to make a place in the hearts of Scout and Jem for “Boo”. There mind he is a man of pure evil but when he bestows this act of kindness on the children it shows that he is not all mean but he has kindness in his soul.
test
ReplyDelete